Amazon Rainforest – level 2
Sixty per cent of the Amazon Rainforest is in Brazil. Scientists say that it is very important for the planet. However, people are cutting down the trees there. This year in May and June, they cut down more trees in May and June last year.
People cut down thirty-four per cent more trees this May than last May and 88.4% more trees this June than last June. A scientist from the organization Imazon says that the Brazilian president is making the situation worse.
The president called for development in the Amazon, and he also said that he wanted mining in protected reserves. He does not care if the people who live there want the mines or not.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.