Amazon Rainforest – level 3
Brazil is home to 60% of the Amazon Rainforest which scientists consider critical to the climate health of the planet.
However, people are cutting down the trees there, and there was more deforestation in this year’s months of May and June than last year. In May, deforestation went up by 34% compared to the same month a year ago and 88.4% compared to June this year vs. a year ago.
A researcher at Brazilian non-governmental organization Imazon said that the country’s current president made the situation worse. Before Jair Bolsonaro became president in January, environmentalists warned that this would happen. The Brazilian president called for development in the Amazon and said that he wanted to allow mining in protected reserves – whether the people of the jungle like it or not.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.