Amazon Strike – level 2
Amazon is a US company and the world’s largest online retailer. Amazon’s biggest market outside the US is Germany and German Amazon workers are planning to go on a strike that will last three days.
The strike will take place in seven German Amazon warehouses and it should start on November 25. But on November 27, there is ’Black Friday’. For many stores, Black Friday is the start of Christmas shopping season, and they offer very big sales. In the US, it is the busiest shopping day of the year.
Amazon workers want higher salaries and better working conditions. During the coronavirus pandemic, more people have shopped online and it means more business for Amazon.
Difficult words: retailer (a person or company who sells things to people), warehouse (a large building where a company stores things before selling them), working conditions (the situation in which people work).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos