Amazon Strike – level 3
The US retail giant Amazon is facing pressure in Germany, the company’s biggest market outside the US.
Trade union Verdi called on workers at seven German Amazon warehouses to go on a three-day strike. However, the strike would coincide with ’Black Friday’ discount shopping sales on November 27. The strike is scheduled to begin with Wednesday’s night shift, with Verdi demanding better pay and working conditions. Verdi has been organizing strikes at Amazon Germany since 2013. An Amazon spokesman said earlier this month that the company offered excellent salaries and that benefits and working conditions were comparable with other companies.
Amazon’s sales have soared globally as coronavirus restrictions have forced consumers to shop online. According to Verdi, this has strengthened the case for higher wages and the necessity to protect Amazon’s workers more sufficiently against the spread of the coronavirus.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.