American Confederate Statue – level 3
Student activists at the University of North Carolina held a rally on campus last week, seeking the removal of a Confederate statue known as ‘Silent Sam’.
As they saw the statue as a symbol of racist heritage, they suddenly toppled it several hours into the protest. They kicked the monument and cheered around the empty pedestal.
The University condemned the destruction and police made one arrest.
Difficult words: rally (protest), heritage (cultural values which are passed from generation to generation), topple (cause to fall), pedestal (a rock on which a statue stands), condemn (criticise, strongly disagree with).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
We write news in three different levels of English. We want to help you understand English more. Now all students can enjoy reading and listening.
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.