American policeman kills a man – level 1
This news is from South Carolina. South Carolina is a state in the USA.
This news is not good. A police offer stops a driver. It is a normal traffic stop, but it goes wrong.
The driver runs out of his car. The policeman wants to stop him. He tries to stop him with a stun gun. Later, he shoots him with a normal gun. The policeman shoots the driver five times. The driver dies.
Somebody walks by. He sees all of this. He films it. He tells people about it. Now this policeman is in trouble.
Difficult words: traffic stop (when a policeman stops a driver to see if everything is OK), stun gun (a gun which can stop somebody, but cannot kill), shoot (to use a gun).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Does this happen in more countries? Or is it just the USA? What do you think?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.