American policeman kills a man – level 3
These images show the moment a police officer in South Carolina appears to shoot a black man five times as he ran away.
A video of the shooting was filmed by a passer-by who released it to The New York Times and local media in Charleston.
The footage shows a white officer drawing his gun and firing eight times at a black man who appears to be unarmed. The man then gradually falls to the floor.
The officer then shouts repeatedly for him to put his hands behind his back before handcuffing him.
“Put your hands behind your back!”
He then runs back to where he was initially stood then walks back to the victim and appears to drop an item, reportedly his stun gun next to where he’s lying.
The victim, 50-year-old Walter Lamer Scott, was shot on Saturday during a routine traffic stop, after the officer had already hit him with a stun gun. Police officer Michael Slager has been charged with murder.
Difficult words: passer-by (a person who is walking by), draw (to take out), unarmed (without a gun or a weapon), handcuff (to put on handcuffs – metal rings so you cannot use your hands), floor (ground), initially (in the beginning), stun gun (a gun which stops somebody but cannot kill them).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.