American Politician Raps – level 1
Twenty years ago, the rapper Biggie Smalls dies. Now, a US congressman wants to pay tribute to him.
The congressman raps when he talks about the rapper. He tells his story. He says that the rapper starts out poor. The rapper becomes rich by working hard. The congressman says that this shows the American Dream.
Difficult words: congressman (a person who works in the Congress – a group of ‘bosses’ in the USA), tribute (to show respect), the American Dream (the idea that if you work hard, you can become rich).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.