American Soy Beans in China – level 3
China is buying soy beans from the United States for the first time since the trade war began between the two countries in July.
According to the USDA (United States Department of Agriculture), China has purchased more than 1 million metric tonnes of soy beans as of December 14th. This may be a promising sign, but it is not nearly enough to make up for the losses that the American soy bean farmers endured during the trade war.
Until the trade war, China had taken in more than half of the annual US soy bean exports, but tariffs on US soy beans have driven down sales to China by 94% since the same time last year.
Difficult words: agriculture (farming), purchase (buy), endure (suffer through a difficult time), annual (yearly), tariff (a tax which must be paid on imports).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos