Americans and Cuba – level 2
Americans are not allowed to travel to Cuba as tourists. They can only visit Cuba to see family, do government business or do humanitarian work.
The Trump Administration is making it even more difficult for Americans to travel to the Caribbean country. In the past, they could travel there under a programme called ‘people-to-people’. Under this programme, you had to meet the locals. Now the ‘people-to-people’ travelling will no longer be allowed.
The American government says that it is doing this because it does not like Cuba’s foreign policy.
Difficult words: allow (let somebody do something), the locals (the people who live somewhere; in this article, Cubans), foreign policy (how a country communicates with other countries and what the country does).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos