Americans are buying more guns – level 1
This news is from the USA. Often, there are mass shootings. One mass shooting happens in December. Fourteen people die. The shooting injures twenty-two people.
Americans do not feel safe. They buy more guns. On Black Friday alone, they buy 185,000 guns.
Americans do not believe that police can protect them. One police officer even says this in a video.
Difficult words: mass shooting (a situation when someone shoots many people), injure (to hurt someone), Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving; many people go shopping on Black Friday).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Would you buy a gun to feel safe?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos