Americans are buying more guns – level 2
Americans do not feel safe in their own country. In the USA, mass shootings often happen, and recently there was an Islamic extremism-inspired shooting. The shooting killed fourteen people and injured twenty-two people.
Americans apparently believe that attack is the best form of defence. On Black Friday alone this year, people bought 185,000 rifles and the number is growing.
Americans do not believe that the police can protect them. One police officer even said this in a video.
Difficult words: mass shooting (a situation when a person or people with guns kill a lot of people), apparently (it seems that), rifle (a long gun).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Would you buy a gun to feel safe?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.