Americans don’t live very long – level 3
In the 1960s, the average American’s life expectancy was almost 70 years old, and the US ranked 18th in the world.
Today, the country’s average life expectancy is 77 years old; however, other countries made more progress in expectancy. In 2020, the US ranked 61st out of 237 nations.
After World War II and the postwar boom, Americans benefited from medical advances like penicillin and open-heart surgery. As the 20th century progressed, Americans lived longer, but they also developed unhealthy habits. The diet started to rely on prepared foods that we commonly call junk food. More people got involved in work, and they did less exercise.
Nowadays, many people are lacking a health care system, and they don’t take preventive actions early enough to deal with illnesses. In the last 30 years, the use of opiates has reached an epidemic level, and obesity has gotten much higher, too.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.