Amnesty for Catalan separatists – level 1
Spain’s socialists and the Catalan separatist Junts party make a deal. The deal is about an amnesty.
An amnesty is a pardon for people in prison. This amnesty is for people involved in Catalonia’s independence drive. The new law is for events from 2012 to now, including a 2014 vote and a 2017 referendum. The referendum is against the law. Nine leaders go to prison for this. But they get amnesty in 2021.
The law will not give any names of people. Carles Puigdemont is Junts’ leader. He is in Belgium. Spanish authorities are fighting to bring him back to Spain. He faces charges there. The law will help around 1,500 people.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What effects would the amnesty law have on the relationship between Spain and Catalonia?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.