Amnesty for Catalan separatists – level 2
Spain’s socialists secured support from the Catalan separatist Junts party by agreeing to a controversial amnesty.
The law covers events related to Catalonia’s independence drive from 2012 onwards, which include the 2014 vote and the 2017 illegal referendum. Nine separatist leaders went to prison for up to 13 years but were pardoned in 2021. The broad amnesty will not probably name specific people. It could benefit Carles Puigdemont, Junts’ founder, who is currently in Belgium fighting extradition to Spain.
The law will address legal actions against hundreds of people. It could cover around 1,500 individuals associated with the Catalan separatist cause.
Difficult words: controversial (an event which makes people argue), amnesty (a pardon for people in prison), pardon (to forgive someone), extradition (making someone return to another country because they did something illegal there).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What is the scope of the law's proposed amnesty for Catalonia's independence drive?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.