Amnesty for Catalan separatists – level 3
Spain’s socialists have struck a deal with the Catalan separatist Junts party, securing their support for the government in exchange for a controversial amnesty.
The proposed law will encompass events related to Catalonia’s independence drive from 2012 to the present, including the 2014 symbolic vote and the 2017 illegal independence referendum. The latter led to the imprisonment of nine separatist leaders, later pardoned in 2021. The amnesty is anticipated to be broad, avoiding specific beneficiary names to adhere to the Spanish constitution. Notably, Carles Puigdemont, Junts’ founder, and a key figure in the 2017 events, stands to benefit.
The law aims to address legal actions against hundreds, with an estimated 1,500 individuals linked to the Catalan separatist cause potentially covered.
Difficult words: amnesty (a general pardon, especially for political offenses), encompass (to include different things), beneficiary (a person who receives money or other benefits as a result of something else).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What is the scope of the Spanish government's proposed amnesty law for Catalan separatists?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.