Amnesty in Myanmar – level 3
Last Tuesday, Myanmar’s president, Win Myint, released more than 6,500 prisoners and granted them amnesty.
People confirmed that among those pardoned were Reuters journalists Wa Lone and Kyaw Soe Oo. Before police arrested them in 2017, they were investigating the killings of Rohingya Muslims by Myanmar’s government. Later, police convicted them to seven years in prison.
The United Nations applauded the journalists’ release, saying that it shows that the Myanmarese government wants a transition to democracy.
Difficult words: amnesty (an official pardon), applaud (show that you are happy about something).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos