An expensive watch sells at auction – level 1
A special watch sells at an auction in Hong Kong. Swiss company Patek Philippe makes the watch.
The last emperor of China’s Qing Dynasty wears the watch. His name is Aisin-Gioro Puyi. We do not know when or how the emperor gets the watch. But the watch is from the year 1937. The emperor gives the watch to his interpreter Georgy Permyakov while they are in the Soviet Union from 1945 to 1950.
The watch sells for 6.2 million dollars. The auction lasts about seven minutes. Most of the people who attend the auction are collectors and representatives from mainland China and Hong Kong.
Difficult words: emperor (the man who is the head of state in an empire), interpreter (a person who translates what somebody says into another language), mainland (the main part of a country or continent).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What does the 6.2 million dollars paid for the watch at auction signify about its historical value?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.