An unusual friend – level 1
Xavier Bouget is an 80 year old pensioner. He comes from Brittany, France. He has an unusual friend: a pigeon.
One day, Bouget sees a baby pigeon in the street. The pigeon wants to fly away from a cat. It falls to the ground.
Bouget tells his wife about it. She asks him why Bouget does not bring the pigeon home. Bouget goes back. He brings the pigeon home.
Bouget calls the pigeon Blanchon. Bouget and Blanchon become best friends. The bird sits on the man´s shoulder all day.
Bouget says that every person can have an animal as a best friend. The most important thing is to respect the animal. Bouget watches the bird. He cares about him.
Difficult words: pensioner (a person who stops working and he gets money from the government), pigeon (a grey bird which lives in cities and walks in the streets), respect (to care about somebody and about what he feels and needs).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.