Angelina Jolie not UN ambassador – level 2
Angelina Jolie is a 47-year-old American actor, and for ten years, she was also a UN ambassador.
Humanitarian work interested Jolie when she made a movie in Cambodia. She saw that people knew little about the problems in conflict zones and about refugees. This discovery changed her life, and in 2001, she became the UN ambassador. In 2012, Jolie represented the UN on diplomatic missions, and she worked in more than 60 of them.
Jolie said that she would continue to work with refugees and she would work with organizations which help people in conflict zones.
Difficult words: humanitarian work (help to people in emergency situations like a war), conflict zone (an area where people are fighting), refugee (a person who ran away from his country because it was dangerous).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos