Angola elections – level 2
Since 1975, the MPLA party has ruled in Angola when the country became independent from Portugal.
Last week, the party won the elections again, but it lost its majority in parliament. Now MPLA must cooperate with the opposition, which never happened before. Experts worry that the situation will upset poor young people who don’t support MPLA.
Officials announced the result only one day after the election, which was very unusual. In 2017, people took two weeks to know the results of the vote.
Difficult words: elections (the time to vote a person or people for a job in politics), majority (the larger part of something), opposition (a party or parties in a government who speak or fight against the party that is leading).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.