Animals Drink Alcohol – level 3
People have been fermenting alcohol for a long time as they enjoy alcohol’s effects, and as it turns out, some animals enjoy it, too!
International researchers conducted a 17-year-long empirical study and found that some chimpanzees drink alcohol from leaf vessels.
Video footage showed a chimp using leaves to collect fermented sap from a palm tree. The scientists observed the animals in many states of inebriation, including falling asleep after drinking.
Difficult words: ferment (turn into alcohol), conduct (run), empirical (based on scientific testing), vessel (a container for holding liquids), fermented (turned into alcohol), sap (the fluid in a plant), inebriation (being drunk).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
Is it surprising that animals drink alcohol?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos