Animals in the water – level 3
Dramatic rescue operations took place on Wednesday after torrential downpours and flooding threatened the lives of cattle and horses in Argentina.
Local farmers in the north of the country guided their cows, bulls and horses across a river to safety.
The animals can be seen swimming and wading through the water, as they were anchored with ropes to small boats.
Some needed special assistance or even a ride to get across the strong current.
Torrential rain has pummelled the region over the weekend, causing river water levels to surge. The famous Iguazu Falls was closed to visitors, as brown floodwater cascaded over the falls and obstructed walkways and viewpoints.
Difficult words: torrential (heavy), downpour (heavy rain), wade (walk through water), anchor (secure firmly in position), current (movement of water), pummel (hit repeatedly), surge (go up).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos