Animals in tourism – level 3
On World Animal Day, some of the worst types of suffering endured by wild animals in the tourism industry have been exposed.
From elephant rides to taking selfies with tigers and watching animals fight in a boxing ring, world animal attractions are currently part of too many holidays. Yet, tourists are largely unaware of the cruelty that goes on behind the scenes.
That’s why a new global campaign to keep wild animals in their natural habitat has been launched.
Tourists might think that watching animals perform tricks or walking with tigers does no harm, but the brutal truth is that cruelty and suffering is inflicted at every turn. From being taken from their mothers and being mistreated as they’re trained to give rides or perform in shows, and being kept in isolation, they’re unable to form natural social bonds.
So, holidaymakers need to know the truth about what goes on behind the scenes.
Difficult words: endure (when you experience something), tourism (an industry about encouraging people to visit places), habitat (the natural home of an animal), brutal (awful), inflict (cause something painful), social (be around others), holidaymaker (a person on holiday).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.