Animals on a Ship – level 3
More than 854 cattle have spent two months adrift in the Mediterranean after being rejected by several countries.
The reason why the animals were stranded at sea were fears that they had bovine bluetongue virus. The vessel is owned and managed by two Lebanese companies while the cattle are owned by a third party. The ship took the male calves, who were about seven to eight months old, on board at the Spanish port of Cartagena in mid-December, and the ship sailed for Turkey. However, a mistake on the Spanish government´s animal health paperwork led Turkey to reject the cattle, fearing that they could be infected with bluetongue.
According to a report by Spanish government veterinarians, the animals were no longer fit for transport and they should be killed. The animals have been kept in very poor conditions and they have suffered from the lengthy journey. The report concluded that euthanasia would be the best solution for the animals´ health and welfare.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.