Antarctica Penguins – level 2
Scientists in the Antarctic studied groups of penguins. They say that penguin populations are decreasing. Scientists found out that in some groups, the number of penguins went down by more than 75% in the last 50 years.
Scientists believe that the main reason why this is happening is climate change. Ocean temperatures are going up and sea ice is melting. This is a problem for krill which is the main source of food for penguins.
The situation in the Antarctic is very serious. Many animals are dying because their natural habitat is changing. This is a problem on the food chain and on penguin populations, too.
Difficult words: krill (very small animals that live in the sea and they are food for large fish and penguins), habitat (the place where animals or plants live), food chain (living things that are connected with each other because each animals eats one and also is food for another animal).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.