Anti-Gay Law in India – level 3
A colonial-era law in India held that homosexual acts were against the order of nature. Last Friday, the Supreme Court ruled to abolish the law, saying that discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation violated human rights.
Many opponents of the former law gathered to celebrate outside the court. One of them said that gay people were finally free to be who they are in front of the law, which is all that they wanted. Media approached another person who said that this would open the doors for more civil rights.
Difficult words: order of nature (when who you are as a person is a crime), rule (an order, officially and legally make something happen), abolish (stop), violate (break), former (not existing any more), gather (come together in large numbers), approach (ask), civil rights (people’s rights to be free).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.