Anti-Valentine’s Day protest – level 2
A conservative Hindu group in India protested against Valentine’s Day. The group rode on motorbikes and harassed couples in public places.
The men in the group even punished some people. One man, for example, had to do sit-ups. The group also organised a wedding between two dogs to show how much they don’t like Valentine’s Day.
Difficult words: Hindu (relating to the religion of Hinduism), harass (to make somebody feel bad), sit-ups (a type of exercise to make your belly stronger).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this protest? Is it appropriate?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos