Anti-Valentine’s Day protest – level 3
A right-wing Hindu group in India has been protesting today against Valentine’s Day.
Members of Bajrang Dal have been riding on motorbikes and harassing couples seen together in public places.
The group was seen approaching couples and even dealing out punishments, including forcing a man to do sit-ups.
In even more bizarre scenes, the group even staged a wedding between two dogs to illustrate their opposition before police finally intervened to break up the protesters.
Difficult words: right-wing (conservative, anti-change), Hindu (relating to Hinduism which is a religion), harass (to make somebody feel bad), deal out (to decide what kind of punishment somebody will get), sit-ups (a type of exercise to make your belly stronger), bizarre (strange), stage (to organise), opposition (being against something), intervene (to change something quickly).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.