Antisemitic incidents at US universities – level 2
US House Republicans questioned presidents of three universities regarding their efforts to deal with antisemitism after a Hamas attack on Israel on October 7.
During their testimony, the presidents criticized the attack. They confirmed that Jewish students’ safety was very important, but at the same time, they protected free speech on campuses. The universities faced criticism, especially Harvard and the University of Pennsylvania. Some people said that the universities reacted slowly to antisemitic incidents after pro-Palestinian and pro-Israel demonstrations. House Republicans pressed the presidents on several incidents and they expressed worries about campus safety.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What concerns were expressed by the House Republicans to the university presidents regarding campus safety and their response to antisemitic incidents?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.