Ape Named after Luke Skywalker – level 2
Scientists found a new species of gibbon in remote forests in China. They named the gibbon after “Star Wars” character Luke Skywalker. The name shows that these primates live high in trees.
Scientists are studying gibbons in the mountains of southwest China. They think that this is a new species of primates.
They are different in many ways, for example, the colour of their coats or the different markings on their faces. They also have different songs and do duets between males and females. They usually live in pairs and they always have a duet. For scientists, it was the different songs which really got their attention and made them name these gibbons a new species.
Mark Hamill, the actor playing Luke Skywalker, agreed to the new species name.
Gibbons also have problems. People hunt them and damage their natural environment.
Difficult words: remote (very far away), species (a kind, a type), primate (an ape, a monkey).
You can watch the video news in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.