Apple vs the FBI – level 2
The FBI wants Apple to unlock two iPhones. These iPhones belonged to the killers of the San Bernardino shootings, which took place in December last year.
Apple wants to help the FBI, but the problem is complicated. It is not easy to unlock an iPhone without writing a special piece of software. Apple has never written this piece of software and it does not want to.
Tim Cook, the boss of Apple, said that this software is like cancer. It would unlock the two phones, but it would also make everyone’s iPhone vulnerable. That is why Apple does not want to write the code.
The American public is divided – some support Apple while others support the FBI.
Difficult words: vulnerable (in danger), divided (to set into two groups).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think Apple should do?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.