Apple workers protest – level 3
In China, hundreds of workers protested at Apple’s main iPhone plant; they protested over unpaid wages and fears of the spread of COVID-19 infections.
The protest started on Wednesday night when workers streamed out of dormitories and pushed past the guards. According to one employee, the company changed conditions for new workers with offers of higher pay. They were promised 3,500 dollars for two months of work; however, later they had to work for two months at a lower pay to receive the promised sum. Several protesters were injured and anti-riot police arrived to restore order.
This happened after almost a month under tough restrictions throughout China to close shops and offices. Millions of people had to stay in their homes which also sparked the protests. The Communist Party promised to shorten quarantines and make changes to reduce disruptions.
Difficult words: dormitory (an area where many people live and work in the city), quarantine (an isolated time to stop the spread of a disease), disruption (when a problem stops something).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos