Argan oil – level 2
In the mountains of southern Morocco, a group of local women harvest argan oil. They always used the oil for cooking, but in recent years, argan oil became popular in all the world.
The beauty industry calls argan oil ‘liquid gold’ because it is very good for skin and hair. In Morocco, a liter of argan oil costs around 30 to 50 dollars a liter. On the international market, it can cost up to 250 dollars a liter.
A group of 130 women in Tiout Village make cooking oil, cosmetic oil, creams, and other products. The group started in 2002, and it was very good for women in the community. They got a salary and free kindergarten, they could bring their children to work, and they had reading and writing courses.
Difficult words: harvest (to pick fruit or plants to eat), community (a group of people who live in the same place or who have similar ideas or interests), salary (the money which somebody gets for work).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.