Argan oil – level 3
In the arid mountains of southern Morocco, local women harvest argan oil, a natural product that they´ve long used in cooking.
However, argan oil is known as ‘liquid gold’, and it´s become highly prized by the global beauty industry as an anti-aging skin treatment and restorative for hair.
Currently, there´s more demand for argan oil products at the international level, and there have been a lot of products available, such as cooking oil and cosmetic oil. There are also argan derivatives such as creams, shampoos and bath soaps. The oil costs around 30 to 50 dollars a liter locally; however, it can sell on the international market in smaller high-end bottles for up to 250 dollars a liter.
Cooperative set up in 2002 employs around 130 women from the community of Tiout Village, offering them a salary, free childcare, health insurance, and literacy courses.
Difficult words: arid (hot and dry), restorative (improving health or strength or increasing energy), derivative (a something what´s based on another source or product), cooperative (a business or other organization that is owned and run jointly by its members).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.