Argentina crisis – level 2
A hundred years ago, Argentina was one of the richest countries in the world. Since that time, its situation changed and it’s currently going through a big crisis.
Several crises happened in recent years, but this problem is the worst. Experts say that inflation could reach 100%. Things were so expensive that many people have no money at all.
Many men come to a garbage dump outside Buenos Aires, and they spend all day searching through mountains of waste. They pick cardboard, plastic, metal, and even food. They hope that they will be able to sell or trade the things for something else.
In 2001, Sandra Contreras opened a barter club where people could trade things. Now, it’s full of people again, and they often trade old clothes for food.
Difficult words: inflation (the situation when prices are rising, and people can buy less for the same amount of money), garbage dump (a place where people leave waste and material which they don’t need anymore), barter club (a place where people can exchange things without using money).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.