Argentina crisis – level 3
Inflation in Argentina could hit 100% this year, which is the sharpest rise in prices since a period of hyperinflation around 1990. This extreme rise happened as the world is fighting to tame soaring prices.
Many people are struggling to survive. At a garbage dump outside Buenos Aires, men waded through piles of waste to find usable clothing and even food; they sort cardboard, plastic, and metal to sell it later. Twice as many people come to the dump or trade their belongings in barter clubs.
People have no money left, and they’re so desperate that their only choice is to barter. People exchange things like old clothes for a bag of flour or pasta.
A century ago, Argentina was one of the world’s richest countries; however, in recent years, several economic crises happened, and the country has struggled to control inflation.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.