Argentina grows special wheat – level 3
In Argentina, some fields are test sites for the wheat strain HB4, the first transgenic wheat with global government approvals.
A local business developed the strain, and supporters say that the wheat could stop food crises with improvement in wheat yield. HB4 endures better when it has little water, which makes it stronger to drought.
Recent events raised fears about the future of food production; the events included historic droughts in China, the US, and Europe and Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, a major wheat producer. However, some people warn that genetically modified wheat could affect non-genetically modified wheat. Then international markets could ban wheat supply over contamination fears, which could negatively impact Argentina’s economy.
Argentina has approved the business of HB4, and the strain has also gained approvals in Brazil, Nigeria, and Australia.
Difficult words: strain (a new type of plant or animal), transgenic (containing one or more genes from another type of plant or animal), yield (a produced or grown amount of something).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos