Argentina may use the dollar – level 2
In Argentina, economists suggest adopting the dollar to control high inflation.
Javier Milei is an economist and a presidential candidate, and he believes that using the dollar can formally help stop prices from rising too much. The Argentine peso had problems in the past, like changing to a different currency called the Austral in the 1980s and trying to match the dollar but failing.
The government is looking for help from China and the International Monetary Fund (IMF) to prevent a money crisis before the elections. But the IMF has a difficult decision to make about how to support Argentina because the country didn’t meet its previous promises.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think are the potential positive and negative implications of adopting the dollar in Argentina?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.