Arrest Dog – level 2
One month before George Floyd’s death, US police officers arrested a black man. A camera that was on one of the police officers shows what happened during the arrest.
The man was lying on the ground, and he could not hurt anyone because he had handcuffs on his wrists. However, the officers used an arrest dog which held the man’s leg for 20 seconds. In the video, it is possible to hear an officer praising the dog several times. The police department stopped the use of arrest dogs and placed the officer on administrative leave.
The arrested man said that it was not necessary to use an arrest dog. He also said that the dog caused an injury to his leg which could bring him serious health problems.
Difficult words: handcuffs (two metal rings that police officers put on someone’s wrists so this person cannot move easily), praise (to tell somebody that he is very good), administrative leave (when a person leaves a job for some time until a problem or difficult situation is solved).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.