Artist Buys a Ship – level 2
Banksy is a world-known British street artist. He decided to support people who help refugees in the Mediterranean Sea. These people come from Africa, and they want to get to Europe to live better lives there.
Banksy bought a 100-feet ship, which is named Louise Michael, after a French feminist anarchist. It is painted in bright pink, and there are some of Banksy´s paintings, too. The ship started its journey in a Spanish port on August 18, and it made its way to the central Mediterranean. There have already been three rescue events of almost 200 people.
There are 10 women in the crew; however, they have a lot of experience with similar missions.
Difficult words: refugee (a person who runs away from his country because of war or a bad political situation), feminist (a person who fights for women´s rights), anarchist (a person who does not respect any political power).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.