Artist Buys a Ship – level 3
The British street artist Banksy has bought a boat to rescue refugees who attempt to reach Europe from North Africa. The vessel was named Louise Michael, after a French feminist anarchist.
It is painted in bright pink and it features Banksy’s artwork.
The 100-foot motor yacht, that was formerly owned by French customs authorities, set off in secrecy on August 18 from Spain, and it is now in the central Mediterranean. On Thursday, it rescued 89 people, including 14 women and 4 children.
The crew has a long experience in search and rescue operations, and it had already assisted in two other rescue operations involving 105 people. The boat’s mission states that the crew intends to answer any SOS calls.
Difficult words: anarchist (a person who does not respect any political authority), customs (the place at a port, airport, or border where officials check incoming goods and people), SOS (an abbreviation for “save our souls,” a saying which means that people need help quickly).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.