Astronauts come back – level 3
On Saturday, three members of the Expedition 64 team landed safely back on solid ground after ending their mission on the International Space Station. They landed in Kazakhstan.
The team ended a 185-day mission spanning 2,960 orbits of Earth and 126 million kilometers, and they were lifted out of the spacecraft before medical examinations were made. Flight Engineer and microbiologist Kate Rubins of NASA and two of Russia’s Roscosmos cosmonauts were on the Soyuz MS-17 spacecraft that unlocked from the space station, and parachuted on entry into Earth’s atmosphere. After the 408-kilometer journey home, it landed on the steppe of Kazakhstan, southeast of the remote town of Dzhezkazgan.
This was the second flight for Rubins who became the first person to sequence DNA in space in 2016.
Difficult words: span (to extend across a period of time), steppe (a large area of flat unforested grassland, especially in eastern Europe and Asia), sequence DNA (to determine the order of the parts of DNA).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos