Atlanta Shooting – level 3
At least eight people were shot dead in an attack on three massage parlors in Atlanta, Georgia, US.
The shootings were carried out one after another on Tuesday last week, when the rampage started at around 5 pm. The gunman first entered Young’s Asian Massage and killed four people, before moving onto a second and then a third spa. The shootings occurred in quick succession, with police initially responding to a robbery call at Gold Spa, where three women had been shot dead.
Authorities said that seven of the victims were women and six were of Asian descent. Although the motive for the attacks remained unclear, and it wasn’t clear if it was racially motivated, police deployed units in Asian communities citywide.
Georgia Police have arrested 21-year-old man as the primary suspect in the spree after an hours-long manhunt, and the man has been charged with murder. The attack came amid a sharp uptick in crimes against Asian-Americans.
Difficult words: parlor (a room in a public building for receiving guests), succession (a number of people or things of a similar kind that follow one after the other), deploy (to send out), uptick (an increase or upward trend).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos