Attack at Somalia hotel – level 2
Last Friday, Al-Shabab militants attacked a hotel in Mogadishu, the capital of Somalia. Al-Shabab is part of Al-Qaeda, and Al-Shabab controls a large part of southern and central Somalia.
The government controls the other parts, but some people worry that Al-Shabab also wants these parts.
The attackers exploded two bombs outside the hotel, and then they ran inside. Many people escaped, but the militants took some hostages, and they killed at least 12 people. 24 hours later, officials were still working on the situation, and the attackers were still inside the hotel.
Last week’s attack was the first since May when people elected the new president.
Difficult words: militant (a person who works as an unofficial soldier), hostage (a person who another person holds to get something), elect (to choose someone for a job in politics).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos