Attack in Belgium – level 2
Police let out a drug dealer and robber was on a day release in the city of Liege in Belgium. He carried out a terror attack that left three people dead.
He stole guns of two police officers and shot them. Then he later killed a third person. Everything ended after police shot him dead. He was 36-year-old Benjamin Herman.
A prison source later said that Herman became close to radical inmates, was psychologically unstable and wanted to carry out attacks. People said that he shouted ‘Allahu Akbar’ when he attacked.
Difficult words: day release (a day when you can leave the prison), prison source (somebody from the prison who talks to the media), inmate (prisoner), Allahu Akbar (the Arabic words for ‘God is great’).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos