Attack on Ecuador TV – level 3
Gunmen armed with explosives stormed a live TV broadcast in Ecuador amidst a surge of nationwide violence.
President Daniel Noboa identified 22 gangs as terrorist organizations, leading to a military operation against them. The attackers targeted TC’s studio in Guayaquil, shot a cameraman, and broke an employee’s arm. Police rescued the TV staff and arrested the assailants. The violence was triggered by prison conflicts and drug trade, and it prompted a 60-day state of emergency. Gangs opposing a new high-security prison for leaders are now considered military targets.
International support, including China closing its embassy, followed. Explosions, kidnappings, and prison escapes added to the chaos. The president is facing scrutiny for rising violence and planning a security-focused plebiscite.
Difficult words: assailant (a person who attacks or harms others), prompt (to cause), scrutiny (a careful and detailed examination), plebiscite (a direct vote by the electorate on a particular issue).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What actions has President Daniel Noboa taken in response to the recent surge of violence in Ecuador and what measures is he planning to implement in the future?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.