Attack on Two Oil Plants – level 2
Last Saturday, Houthi rebels attacked two Saudi Arabian oil plants. The Houthi’s spokesman said that they used 10 drones, and the attacks shut down half of the country’s oil production.
The fires from the attacks were so large that people could see them in space, although they were under control by the evening.
The drone strikes caused Saudi Arabia to reduce its daily oil production by 5 million barrels a day, which is about 5% of the world’s daily oil production. According to Bloomberg, production expects to be back to normal within 48 hours.
The Houthis are a Shia Muslim rebel group from Yemen, that Iran backs (which is a Shia Islamic Republic). Fights in Yemen started four years ago between the Houthi rebels and the Yemeni government, which Saudi Arabia backs, as well as other Sunni Arab states.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.