Auschwitz – level 2
Auschwitz was the largest concentration camp built by the Nazis. It was built in 1940 and liberated by the Soviet army on 27th January 1945. More than a million people, most of them Jews, died there.
The death camp, which is in Poland, is now a World Heritage Site. Thousands of tourists and survivors visit it every year.
The video in the Level 3 section shows the concentration camp today. A drone took the video. You can see just how huge the camp is.
Difficult words: liberate (to set something free), World Heritage Site (something historically important), huge (very big).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Are there any functioning concentration camps in the world?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.