Australia bans Nazi symbols – level 2
Australia is planning to pass a law which would ban the public display and sale of Nazi symbols.
The move comes as a reaction to increasing far-right activities in the country. It will not be possible to use symbols like the swastika and the SS insignia on flags, armbands, or printed on clothes. The ban will not include the Nazi salute, and it will be up to state governments to decide how to restrict it. Australia’s intelligence agency warned about the growing presence of far-right groups, which are becoming more organized and visible. Offenders can get up to 12 months in prison.
It will be possible to use Nazi symbols for artistic, academic, or religious use because they are important in some religions.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What other methods is Australia's government using to tackle the increasing presence of far-right groups?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.